Sunday, February 26, 2012

Jack and Olivia

This post is sure a long time coming. Sorry about the lack of pictures. Just keep your expectations low:).
Jack and Olivia are now 4 months old. I am not sure where to start in describing the last four months of our lives. I will start by saying that it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be and that I am glad the the new born days have an end.
They are now sleeping through the night and they only feed 5 times a day! They started with feeding every two and a half hours through the day and night. I tried nursing them but I got super sore. I only lasted two weeks then went to formula. That was the best decision I made.
The key to twins is learning to feed them together(sometimes this can get real hectic) and keeping them on the same schedule. Feeding them at the same time is something we have had to get use to. I just kept telling Dave that we can do hard things.
Jack and Olivia were born on October 11th. Now all of my kids are born on the 11th of their month. I had C-sections with all my kids so I had a little wiggle room of the date to schedule their births on.
Jack weighed 5 lbs and Olivia 5 lbs 4 oz. I had them at 36 weeks. They were both healthy with no problems. This was such a blessing. When they came home from the hospital they both weighed around 4 lbs 11 oz. They were so tiny. We didn't have any preemie clothes for Jack and the new born clothes were too big.
Their first night home Dave and I didn't get any sleep, literally. I had so much anxiety that I could not sleep for the next two days. That was the worst experience of my life. After this we worked hard to get them on a good schedule and things got a whole lot better.
Last month we blessed them. Jack was named Jack Phelps. This is after my Grandpa Jack Phelps Balling. Phelps comes from a line of family that were members of the LDS Church with Joseph Smith. We had originally had the middle name of Johnathon. I liked the name but was not super set on it. We had come up woth it in the hospital. Dave felt that he should use the name Phelps so in the blessing he changed it. It was a bit of a suprise but I did not mind. My grandpa was thrilled. He and my grandma have dune so much to help me out.
Jack is such a smily guy. He is a happy boy and it is so much fun to make him really laugh. We haven't been able to get Olivia to laugh like Jack. He also has a flat head. It is so flat that he may have to wear a helmet. He is also our spitter-upper. His clothes are always wet no matter how often I change him. He seems to be an easy going boy but we will see.
We named Olivia, Olivia Belle. Belle is after Dave's grandma Mary Belle Hardie. Her name was not changed at her blessing.
Olivia is a strong girl. She loves to stand. We cannot get Jack to stand and it is hard to get Olivia to sit. She can also roll from her stomach to her back and then back to her stomach. Jack is not close to rolling. She also likes to talk. If you talk to her she will talk right back. It is so much fun having a girl!
We have really enjoyed having twins. They are starting to interact with each other and it is so much fun to see. It has been a whole lot of work taking care of them but so worth it! They have brought a peace into our home and I know I am a better person because of them. I feel so lucky to have them.
Here are some pictures. Enjoy.












4 comments:

  1. yay! I love seeing these pictures. Can't wait to meet the twins - Olivia seems especially sweet and I will just have to snuggle her in July!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're so cute Mandee! It really is amazing to see twins. Olivia has such adorable clothes. I want to come and see them asap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is official...you are wonder woman! And you guys can do hard things because you are so strong. They are both so adorable, and I love that they each have their own personalities and abilities. It looks like Nate and Paul like having them around too! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mandee for sharing this. I got kinda "teary" when you were telling the origins of the twin's names. Somehow, someday we have to get all these little ones together so they can put faces with names. Jack and Olivia are both cuties, but I expected that...I know their parents!

    ReplyDelete

Followers